Sunday 5 August 2012

Age is just a number



My all time favourite Nigerian soap is Tinsel, which is currently in it's 4th season showing on DSTV's Africa Magic Entertainment, Channel 128.

Click for Full Image Size
Tinsel Cast




Two of my favourite characters are Emil Haruna and Angela Dede.
I just love the love they share in some ways. But wait Oh, I'm thinking does this kind of love happen in real life.

Okay lemme do a brief summary of their love story for those who don't understand what I'm talking about. So, Emil is Angela's boss's son. He is attracted to Angela and begins to fall in love with her despite her mental instability and all. She acts like she doesn't like him but gradually her feelings for him start to show. They start getting really serious. Emil's mum finds out about this relationship, but she's not happy. She calls Angela to her office and tells her to stay away from Emil, revealing that her son is just 17.

Angela runs mad (madder than she already is...lol). She didn't know Emil was underage. I mean the guy owns his own business and looks like he's in his late 20s. Apparently, as she finds out later he's just a precocious teenager who  likes older women, like Angela who is 30!!
Emil is persistent and insists he loves Angela. He even moves in with her for a while when his mother throws him out for being a disobedient child.
Finally Emil turns 18 and he and Angela hit it off again and this time even stronger. It seems like their love is made in heaven.

So you gerrit?

Now, while Emil and Angela's story looks good on-screen, I can't help but wonder "does such happen in real life?". Like Emil's mother put it (although exaggerated), Angela is practically twice Angela's age. My opinion on this is, this doesn't happen in real life.
I give kudos to the tinsel crew for telling us such a story and keeping me entertained every week...love you mucho...but me I can't danwo, I can't try that oh

Some proponents of 'Age is just a number' will insist it's okay as long as both parties have mutual respect for each other.
I feel, over time, the guy would start to lose interest in the woman. Also, the woman might begin to have some self-esteem issues and also feel the need to guard her man from younger women. There will be some other issues involved, including both families' acceptance of the union (if they plan on getting married) etc. And although we shouldn't make decisions based on what others think, but we should also put in mind that the society will also frown against such a union.
I feel if at all the woman is older than the man, it should be a maximum of 2 years abeg. It's just somehow. Well what do I know.

Anyways, there's nothing you will not see in a soap opera. I suspect they will still break up sef (Emil and Angela)..we shall see.

Does anyone know of such relationships in real life? Please lemme know o

In another news...
I came across this video on Myne's blog some time ago and I've been hooked since then. Dunno why o. But I just love the song ehn..And I thought I should share

Enjoy Oko mi by Ju Spice





2 comments:

  1. Hollywood is all i have as reference o. Check Nick Cannon and Mariah Carey. I can't use Demi moore anymore. Anyway, I agree with your stance. If it's more than 2 years, i just think it'll be too weird although i have met guys with serious emotional intelligence and stability of much older guys. Fingers crosed ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh okayyy...I completely forgot about them sef (Nick and Mariah).... Just found info on Demi's previous marriage to Ashton; she's 15 years older than him!!
      I'm still yet to see Nigerian couples like that oh(especially non-celebrities).
      Yeah, I agree, there are some younger guys that are more emotionally intelligent than some older ones..

      Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete

Feel free to leave a comment. You can't tell how much that encourages me :)